In this episode, we speak with Russ Meyer. Russ is, as Steve puts it, “the most successful hunter I know.” So we talk to Russ about what it takes to be so successful. How has he found consistent success is 30 years of bowhunting?
Topics discussed include…
- Physical fitness for hunting performance and longevity as you age.
- The importance (and dangers) of experienced hunters mentoring new hunters.
- The special sentiments of hunting with your children.
- Some of Russ’ keys to hunting success:
- knowing your hunting area intimately
- finding and hunting areas that other hunters won’t pressure
- patience vs aggressiveness
- calling vs stalking
- positive mindset and confidence
- realistic expectations
- capitalizing on encounters and opportunities
- And, conversely, common mistakes that keep hunters from being success
- Russ’ work with Outdoors International
“I’d rather hunt where there are a couple of elk and no people, than hunt where there are 50 elk and 5 people.” — Russ Meyer